Relocating and Settling in Sweden as a Student

What to do When You Move to Sweden as a Student

Oftentimes, students ask us, what should I do after my successful admission application to study in Sweden? What is the next step to take after receiving that congratulatory message regarding my offer of admission in a Swedish University? In this article, we will explain everything you need to know about relocating and settling in Sweden as a student.

Click here to apply for a Visa

Verified Tips on Settling in Sweden as a Student

Below are some of the things you need to do following a successful admission application in Sweden.

Obtain a Visa for Residence

Almost always, this is the first step. Immigration, visa, permit, and citizenship-related issues are handled by Sweden’s Migration Agency (Migrationsverket).

Perhaps, through a job, family, or for academic reasons, you already have the appropriate residence permit needed to lawfully reside and work in Sweden before arriving. However, if you need to renew your permits, you might still want to find the closest Migration Agency Office in your locality.

File With a Tax Agency

The Swedish Tax Agency registration is the most crucial requirement for new residents (Skatteverket). You will be added to the system for tax collection, personal identity, monitoring of marital status, mailing address information, and insurance purposes after completing this registration process (folkbokföring).

When you register with the Tax Agency, a special personal identification number, or “personnummer,” will be given to you (similar to the British National Insurance Number).

This crucial number serves as your legal identification in Sweden and is required for routine official actions like opening bank accounts and receiving paychecks from your employer.

Get an Accommodation

If you plan to live in a large city like Stockholm, Gothenburg, or Malmö, start looking for a home as soon as you can. Interestingly, In Sweden, you can hire “first-hand” or “second-hand” items. First-hand (första hand) refers to signing a contract with the building’s owner, whereas second-hand (andra hand) refers to signing a contract with someone who either already owns the apartment or has the first-hand contract on it.

In the big cities, getting a first-hand contract typically involves years of waiting in line. However, there are numerous specialized websites that provide accommodations for used contracts. The majority of the commercials are in Swedish, but you will also see some in English.

It also important to check with the local university you will be attending first if you are relocating to Sweden as a student. International students may be provided housing at some universities, but not all. The majority of institutions offer some sort of lodging service.

Learn more about living expense here

Obtain an ID Card

The next step after receiving your personal identity number is to apply for an identity card (identitetskort or ID-kort) from the Swedish Tax Agency. Your primary means of identification across Sweden is a Swedish ID card. For establishing bank accounts. It is used to open bank accounts, get credit cards, pick up parcels from the post office, and attend doctor’s appointments.

Open a Bank Account

Opening a bank account requires a Swedish ID card, or at the very least a Swedish personal identity number and a current passport. Your bank will assist you in obtaining the required credit/debit cards and other banking services. As bills and salaries are typically paid online, a bank account is incredibly helpful. Additionally, make sure you order a BankID from the Swedish bank of your choice and download the BankID software on a smartphone.

In Sweden, the BankID is practically essential for surviving because so much online transactions are based on it.
After obtaining a BankID, we advise you to download the Swish app as well.

Find Employment or Start a Business

In order to gain assistance in finding the ideal employment, you may think about signing up with the Swedish Public Employment Agency (Arbetsförmedlingen), that is, if your residence status also permits you to work in Sweden.

For taxation purposes, you must obtain an F-skatt (the “F” stands for för företagare – entrepreneur) status from the Tax Agency if you intend to start your own business (eget företag). Additionally, you have the option of registering your business name with the Swedish Companies Registration Office (Bolagsverket).

Enroll Your Children in School

If you have kids, look into the possibilities that are available, then get in touch with your municipal council to start the enrollment process.

Learn Swedish

Learning Swedish is very important if you want to communicate and get immersed in Swedish society and above all, if you have the intention to remain in Sweden after your studies. Waiting until the preceding stages are finished is unnecessary, so you must begin at the earliest possible time.

You’ll be able to fit in with Swedish society more easily if you have a basic understanding of the language. You can enroll in free Swedish classes offered by the government initiative Swedish for Immigrants if you have a Swedish personal identity number (SFI).

Pay Your Taxes

If you move to Sweden, you’ll have to contribute to the country’s well-developed welfare and social care system by paying taxes. Taxes, which vary depending on several factors, are collected by the Swedish Tax Agency and varies depending on income.

If you work for a corporation, taxes are automatically taken out of your paycheck each month. In English, the Swedish Tax Agency provides a summary.

The tax system is a little more intricate for self-employed people. If you want to start a business as a sole proprietor, you must apply for F-skatt (the “F” stands for “för företagare,” which is entrepreneur). The Tax Agency has more details on business taxes.

Visit the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) to learn more about Swedish social insurance.

Obtain a Swedish Driver’s License

Check to see if you may use your current driving permit (körkort) or if you’ll need a new one if you intend to drive in Sweden. Also learn about Swedish traffic laws, road signs, and parking restrictions.

You are often obliged to obtain a Swedish driving license after one year of residency. You should speak with the Swedish Transport Administration (T) about that.

Begin your application to a University in Sweden today!

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button