When it comes to higher education, Sweden, the land of diversity and balance, is a top choice. Sweden’s universities employ “freedom with responsibility”-based teaching strategies because they are among the top educational institutions in the world.
There are several reasons why foreign students decide to pursue degrees in Sweden. For students from the EU/EEA and Switzerland, one of these is the option to enroll in a course of study without paying tuition.
Swedish Residency Permits Versus Student Visas
How to Obtain a Swedish Student Visa
- First things first: students from EU/EEA nations are exempt from the requirement to obtain a student visa or a residence permit. In spite of this, if they remain in Sweden for longer than a year — which is highly likely given the duration of their programs. They must register with the Swedish Population Register in order to obtain a personal identification number.
- A student visa or a residence permit must be applied for by students who are NOT citizens of the EU/EEA. What, therefore, is the distinction?
- Non-EU/EEA nationals who intend to study in Sweden for no more than 90 days must apply for a student visa.
- The residence permit is for non-EU/EEA nationals who will stay in Sweden for more than 90 days to pursue their studies.
- Although we’ll refer to “student visa” and “residence permit” interchangeably for the remainder of this essay, remember the distinction between the two.
- To receive an acceptance letter, you must submit your application to a Swedish university.
- Before you can begin the visa/residence permit application procedure, you must make up your mind on where you want to study in Sweden. You will receive an acceptance letter necessary for the visa/residence permit application after being admitted to a Swedish university.
List of Sweden’s top Universities:
Requirements to Obtaining a Swedish Student Visa
- Prior to submitting a Swedish student visa application
- You must meet a few requirements in order to qualify for a student visa or residence permit. They are listed below:
- Your chosen university program must be a full-time one.
- You need documented proof that your admission has been approved from the list of Sweden’s accredited universities.
- It is advised that you pay the initial installment of your tuition (only if there is any tuition to be paid).
- You must have a complete health insurance if you remain for less than a year. For students studying in Sweden, find out more about international student insurance.
- Your passport needs to be valid for at least six months.
How and When to Apply for a student visa in Sweden?
Learn How to Obtain a Swedish Student Visa
- You can submit an application either online through the Swedish Migration Agency website or in person at the Swedish embassy or consulate nearest you. The processing period will begin immediately and be shorter if you choose to apply online because the paperwork will instantly be transmitted to the Swedish Migration Authority.
- The amount of information in your file will have an impact on this time frame. To prevent adding information after you apply, make sure your file contains all the necessary papers.
- To get your residence permit card and to be photographed and fingerprinted, go to the Swedish embassy or consulate in your country.
- You will be notified via email of the decision on your visa or residence permit, and you will need to set up an appointment to pick up the formal decision documents. Your university is also sent a copy of the decision paper.
- Since the typical waiting period is about 2-3 months, you should apply for the student visa/residence permit as soon as you can. As part of your application for a visa at the regional embassy, you need additionally provide true copies of the required documents.
Tips About applying for a Swedish Visa or Residence Permit
- When you submit your visa application, you will be required to attend an interview.
- To schedule an interview, make a reservation at the embassy.
- Don’t forget to bring your original documents and your passport.
Sweden’s Educational Requirements in Terms of Language
You do not need to speak any particular language to obtain a study visa in Sweden. In order to be admitted to a Swedish university, students must provide evidence of their ability to speak either Swedish or English. The acceptance letter for the university will only be required by the Swedish Migration Agency.
Study programs taught in both Swedish and English are available in Swedish universities. The majority of English study programs, though, are offered at the postgraduate level (Master’s and PhD programs). Below are some of the required English language tests:
Required Documents for the Swedish Student Visa
- Receipt attesting to your payment of the 145 EUR application cost for a residence permit.
- Copies of the pages in your passport that contain your name, address, passport number, and permission to live abroad.
- The university’s letter of acceptance confirming your enrolment in a full-time program. The length of the course must be stated if you applied for a PhD.
- Evidence that you are covered by comprehensive medical insurance in Sweden (if your study lasts for less than a year). This also holds true if your insurance is paid for by your school or college.
- A bank statement demonstrating your ability to support yourself, Minimum monthly payment of 840 EUR, or 165 EUR if your school provides you accommodation and feeding.
- The document must be in English and span the entirety of your studies. Additionally, you might include proof of any scholarships, financial aid, or, in the case of PhD candidates, educational grants or work in research.
Sweden Work Permit Applications
You may work in Sweden without a work permit if you are a citizen of the EU or EEA. A work permit is required for non-EU/EEA nationals; however, your employer in Sweden will submit the application on your behalf at the Swedish Migration Agency.
You are permitted to work without hourly restrictions while enrolled in school. However, you are encouraged to prioritize your education because you will need to demonstrate your development and accomplishments through an outstanding academic performance.
How to obtain a Swedish Student Visa